View Single Post
Old 01-03-22, 09:58 AM   #10
phooey
A-ganger

Downloads: 225
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth91 View Post
Experienced player here, but my first time using the Dick O'Kane targeting method. I fired three torpedo's and missed!

Target was a freighter, course 280, speed 8.5 knots. My course was 10....stern tubes facing. I chose a lead angle of 15....AOB was set to starboard 75. I pulled the stadimeter triangle all the way down. Firing bearing was 165. Anyway I shot at 900 yards...all three...bow/middle/stern and missed. It was night with rough seas and I didn't see whether I missed ahead or astern.

I figure one of two issues....firing bearing should've been 175 not 165 (?) or AOB should be set to 180 - lead angle when shooting stern tubes (?). I've never seen that in any instruction, so, maybe I'm overanalyzing.

What did I do wrong?
Hello there.

Here's my take on dick o'kane method:

1. Turn off your PK.

2. For lead angle, it should be arctan(target speed/torp speed).

3. Align your periscope bearing to lead angle for port shot or 360 - lead angle for starboard shot. If you shooting with aft tube, then it is 180 + lead angle for port shot and 180 - lead angle for starboard shot. Here, set the range as high as you can.

4. Set AOB to 90 - lead angle, always.

5. Set the target speed.

6. Double check on attack map. If your torpedo track isn't close to 0 or 180, then you're doing something wrong or forgot to set torpedo speed accordingly.

7. Lay and wait.

8. When the target pass the periscope crosshair, fire at will.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by phooey; 01-04-22 at 10:17 PM. Reason: oops
phooey is offline   Reply With Quote