View Single Post
Old 02-28-22, 07:14 AM   #163
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember a single SHIII ship using an AO map.
Correct.

Quote:
If memory serves, in SHIII you can have either an AO map or a normal map assigned to each material
Correct.

Quote:
most if not all the ships (both stock and custom-made) have materials using the later map.
You mean a SPECULAR map. And the specular effect of SH3 ships is not correctly set, so the effect doesn't work in game, even if it's possible to make it work. But S3D doesn't enable to modifiy the proper parameter. But you can make it work by copy-paste of the fake propeller texture of the Stuka for example, this material will handle transparent pixels. Remember, this is the same problem as for semi-transparent textures, when we worked on your super realistic flags textures. BTW, haven't you released this mod yet ?

Quote:
This is not an insurmountable problem, as the AO map could be blended with the diffuse map (most stock SH5 aircraft use this method)
Yes, this can be done with World of warships' models, since the AO map has exactly the same coordinates as the diffuse texture. So, you just have to blend diffuse with AO, and then apply transparency (transforming the black & white texture into alpha channel) of the specular mask.

Quote:
but to be able to use this workaround every single unit would require its UV mapping redone, and the new textures would need to be bigger indeed.
Yes.

Last edited by Mister_M; 02-28-22 at 07:24 AM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote