Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Forgive the repost, figure my question may have been missed in the shuffle here

From previous post:

Introduced my girlfriend to some submarine movies as of late, she actually liked Run Silent Run Deep and The Enemy Below. In the enemy below, the German Captain is talking in his cabin with his first officer "Heine" , talking about WW I and how the skipper looked through the periscope and did the arithmetic in his head. Something I am curious about and do not believe have asked before.... how will firing of torpedoes work in the mod?

There was no TDC in WW I U boats correct? Will the TDC be disabled in the mod? I assume gyros had to be preset?

From what I gather, WW1 "(...) computing a target intercept course for a torpedo was a manual process where the fire control party was aided by various slide rules[13] (the U.S. examples were the Mark VIII Angle Solver (colloquially called the "banjo", for its shape), and the "Is/Was" circular sliderule (Nasmith Director), for predicting where a target will be based on where it is now and was)[14] or mechanical calculator/sights.[15] These were often "woefully inaccurate",[16] which helps explain why torpedo spreads were advised." from Wiki.

And http://www.tvre.org/en/torpedo-attacks-during-wwi

this has the slide ruler image and drawings of attacks methods.

So i think they did what the TDC during WW2 did manually, almost like Curd Jürgens character says in the movie.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote