View Single Post
Old 11-20-21, 08:12 AM   #2484
Panzer_Schultz
Nub

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Thank you! I got the torpedo data. This new data is extremely enlightening. The number of shell hits needed to sink a merchant is about what I predicted. I would like to see the Marinequadratkarte (though I can't promise it will be included in the mod) - regardless it seems interesting, and I will probably at least have it as a non-usable map in the UBoot interior or the Captain's Campaign/Base Room. Interesting that they had over 70 demolition charges - I will probably just include 4-5 charges to make it simpler...with each one able to sink a medium-sized merchant. That would be in line with your data, plus many of the other patrols I have read about where no more than about 5 ships were destroyed per patrol with explosive charges. About Mowe and Wolf, I am still not sure how to imitate the effects of disguise paint schemes, although I have a couple ideas I want to test based on how sensors operate ingame.

Hello again!

Regarding the Demolition charges: I do not think, that the number of charges was the limiting factor of their usage, but mostly two factors: First they could only be used in calm seas, as the U-Boats were not equipped with very seaworthy rowboats. Also the charge should be applied to the outside of the ship just under the waterline which also implies that calm seas are needed.

And the next and maybe most important one was the time it took till you got the crew to leave the ship, send your sailors to the vessel, attach the charges and come back again. All this with potentially masses of enemy vessels around you.

I would say the number you said is reasonable though it would be cool if it could be restricted by weather and the time it consumes and not but the amount of "charges". Though I guess that would be quite hard to programm?

The Map can be found in the attachment of a digitalised book about the 1st world war on the sea. Though I do not know if it is allowed to post links on these forums? If not I will send the link to you via PM or Mail.

I also saw that you searched for torpedo-numbers on WW1 subs and I looked through two of my sources and found the following:

First figures are from the book “Geschichte des deutschen U-Bootbaus” by Eberhard Rössler
(BTR = Bugtorpedorohr = Bow torpedotube, HTR = Stern)

Second figures are from the book “Deutsche U-Boote 1906-1966”from Bodo Herzog
The numbers from the U81 and U87 Class seem to be swapped by mistake in the latter source.

UB-I Class 2x45cm (2 BTR) // 2x45cm (2 BTR)
U-9 Class 6x45cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR) // 6x45cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR
U-19 Class 6x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR) // 6x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR)
U-23/U-27/U-31 Class 6x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR) // 6-10x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR)
U-51 Class 8x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR) // 8x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR)
U-63 Class 8x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR) // 8x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR)
U-81 Class 8x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR) // 12-16x50cm (4 BTR, 2 HTR)
U-87 Class 12x50cm (4 BTR, 2 HTR) // 10-12x50cm (2 BTR, 2 HTR)
U-139 Class 19x50cm (4 BTR, 2 HTR) // 19-24x50cm (4 BTR, 2 HTR)

For the U139 another book about the U-Cruisers states, that the Boats 139-141 could only carry 19 Torpedoes while the boats from 142 onwards could carry 24 thus I expect the U139 Class to have carried only 19 Torps. They could also carry TeKa-Mines (3 of them replaced a torpedo).

Also U-Boats often used older and smaller torpedoes agains merchant vessels to save the newer G/6 or G/7 Torpedoes.

Are there other figures you could need? I could look if I find something then.

Best regards!

Last edited by Panzer_Schultz; 11-24-21 at 05:58 AM.
Panzer_Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote