View Single Post
Old 12-13-19, 02:23 PM   #12768
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Great work Gap.. And yes, I would the dropping flares in TWoS! These little details make the game more immersive. Superbe job.

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Bringing this particular type of ordnance in SH is a bit tricky in many ways.
  • It was dropped like a bomb, but not necessarily on top of the enemy; on the contrary it could be used in the vicinity of the enemy to help locating it better.

• On entering water, the ballistic portion of it should detach from the rest and disappear under the sea but, unlike regular bombs, the float portion should keep bobbing on the waves.

• linked on top of this float and following it, should be a particle generator with a life of 5 minutes at full luminosity (plus 15 additional minutes during which the generator should gradually fade out), and the timer should start when the particle generator enters water for the first time.

Despite all these caveats, I am confident that with the appropriate controllers and some workarounds a flame float can be achieved in Silent Hunter games with a decent degree of realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Sounds really interesting gap but please note that all visual bonuses which AI could achieve by droping flares (SS and red distress flares) are removed from the game due to enormous lag and CTD problems...In other words, The flares are still there but they have no effect on AI visual sensors...
Yes, I am aware of that. It is a pity that we can't have fully functional flares and they are only there for eye-candy. Do you have any idea on why the light node causes such a huge lag? Is that in vanilla game too? Have you checked if the problem might be caused by many flares being fired at the same time?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote