View Single Post
Old 06-01-18, 01:35 AM   #4
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
So I popped the DVD into the tray on two different desktops, both running XP. The first just blanked it... showed absolutely nothing in the drive... wouldn't open. The second at least had the kindness to tell me that "Windows cannot read from this disc... it may be corrupted etc. etc."
I'm not sure which file system the game's required Mac OS may be using.

But Mac operating systems are based on UNIX/BSD.
I doubt that XP, even with an emulator, can read the disk.
Unless the emulator has support for the file system, you may have to get it onto the PC using a Linux/BSD "Live" CD/DVD/USB-drive, and then try using an emulator.
("Live" = boots and runs the OS from a "ram drive" and gone after reboot, won't touch the installed XP OS.)

Quote:
the respondent going on to point out that it was a question of your computer's performance, not the platform.
Assuming an emulator can be found...

An emulators performance is directly related to the total computational power of your PC.

For example, running DOSBOX, a Dos emulator that mimics "REAL MODE" hardware (i.e. the faster the hardware the faster the game plays, not just "More FPS").
If you need to mimic faster hardware, a 486 SX/25 instead of a 386 SX/16 for example, you would have to increase the "cycles" that DOSBOX emulates.
The higher the 'cycles', the faster your machine had to be.
(It even does the 'Adlib' and old 'Sound Blaster' sound cards! New sound cards REALLY screw up old MIDI music.)

My 2500XP (32 bit 1.83ghz) could do just fine "faking" a 386 SX/25 for "EarthSiege", but to mimic a 486 DX/2 66mhz for something like MechWarrior 2, would have my Athlon X2 5600 (dual 2.8ghz) running at a pretty high CPU usage.
As the CPU was "emulating" everything, CPU, OS, Sound, Video, EVERYTHING!

Would be the same with a Mac Emulator.

Barraucda

P.S. By contrast something like "WINE", which allows Windows games in Linux, "redirects" the Windows/DirectX "API calls" to the Linux/OpenGL equivalents, doesn't require the same amount of "oomph" since you aren't "faking hardware".
I'm not sure if such a program exist...

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 06-01-18 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote the post for the relevant part!!!
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote