View Single Post
Old 03-12-14, 11:51 AM   #2340
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225
Uploads: 0

An observation from the latest GR2 Version (also observed in some previous ones) (finally was some free time):

There are 4 bones in a GR2 file that I'm taking as base for my little project. I'll just call them for simplicity 0-1-2-3. The structure is also simple:
0 (root bone)
|
-- 1 (main mesh bone)
|
-- 2 (main collision bone)
|
-- 3 (secondary collision/dmg bone)

I honestly still have no clue why this was done for this particular object, which was taken as a base (chrysler building). But I do know that I cannot move 3 bone out and try and use it on its own or switch to bone 2 as collision. Just telling you - it does not work. The bone specs are actually very very different. At least it looks that way.

There are 2 meshes. Call them mesh1 mesh2.
Mesh1 is by default sitting on bone 1 (bone bindings).
Mesh2 is by default sitiing on bone 3 (bone bindings again).

If I change the bindings, which should in turn thange the name of the bone to the bone I'm changing the binding to, it does not happen.
Furthermore, the mesh/bone will somehow ALWAYS be bind to the bone/mesh that it was ORIGINALLY bind to.
So here is a particular example to stop my sluring

Going back the the above described mesh:
Let say I want to change things and use bone 3 somewhere else. I still want a collision object/mesh and collision bone. That would mean that I would bind mesh2 to bone 2. Theoretically speaking, now mesh2 and bone 2 should be linked, united, two parts of one, etc (being silly here, but you get my idea). So from that, if I change the name of bone 2, the name of the mesh2 should also change and vice versa.
But that is not how that works. Changing name of the bone 2 will do nothing to the mesh2 and changing name of mesh2 will CHANGE NAME OF BONE 3.

It's not the biggest issue. Just something worth noting.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote