View Single Post
Old 03-31-23, 02:22 AM   #1289
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselglock View Post
It is my understanding that the negative was flooded when traveling on the surface to allow for fast diving when planes were set to dive position and the ballast tanks were vented. Once the dive was underway and at around a depth of 20m the negative was blown otherwise the boat would be overly negative when the main ballast tanks were flooded. I think the boat would have to be negative to stay submerged. I have read that good planes men were necessary to keep selected depth. This would have to necessitate some forward motion. The tanks could be adjusted for the amount of negative or positive buoyancy but the planes seem to be the most logical to maintain pitch control.
I personally like the negative buoyancy in NYGM.

I think your right in that the negative tank being mainly for dive and quickly filled with air.Reading more into it a sub is very unstable in buoyancy.Food eaten,fresh water consumed,diesel fuel used and even weather all play into buoyancy and completely filled main ballast tanks can be negative or positive buoyancy with the above stuff taken into account.

Basically its hard to balance depth with ballast tanks alone in a sub as buoyancy constantly changes.Ok carry on fine folks
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote