View Single Post
Old 09-18-09, 11:20 PM   #110
CaptainJack
Swabbie

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0
Default O'Kane & range

I tried to search this thread, but did not see this question. Sorry if I missed it. I am playing SH4 1.5 with RFB 1.52 and the Easy AOB.

Can we talk range here for a minute when using O'Kane? I've been using this method fairly successfully - I say fairly, because it seems mostly accurate, but I also experience occasions where the torp will run mysteriously just ahead or astern. I get hits, but lots of time not in location where the ship trips the wire when I fire. Sometimes, I will set-up being careful to double-click on AOB and bearing, yet I can tell by arrows on the TDC that that shots will go terribly awry - and they do - mystery

After watching Rockin Robbins tutorial for the 4th time today, I finally noticed something. When he drags his range triangle as far counter-clockwise as possible, his range on TDC goes to about 1240 (IIRC); when I do same, my range on TDC goes to 241 - 1000 yards less, that is not a typo!

OK - so I go back to save game and try something: My range to target is 750 so I drag range triangle until range on TDC is 800 before clicking range and bearing having previously set target speed at 12 and AOB at 75 (target bearing is set at 345). I've tried this shot with mixed results before and the only change now is range setting. Fire four torps - bow crane, 1st funnel, 2nd funnel, stern crane - guess what: four precise hits. Go external and check damage on ship - four precisely spaced holes exactly where I aimed.

Conclusion: perhaps range does matter, and I can't simply drag my range triangle as far counter clock-wise as possible. In fact, playing with range meter, I seem to be able to drag around a max range of 12030 down to 241 - so where that range registers when you drag the triangle to the right seems to be a function of where it started - results will vary wildly. And since the arrows on the TDC will move as range is adusted, it seems to matter. With O'Kane, I am now going to be setting range at least higher than my actual - or maybe just 1000 is the magic number - just not sure. Please tell me what I am missing! Thanks
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote