View Single Post
Old 02-11-10, 12:42 PM   #755
BillCar
Engineer

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0

If you're shooting from a gyro angle of roughly 000, the distance also doesn't matter (assuming that you're in range, and keeping in mind that closer is always better until you hit 300m). Just the speed and the AOB.

There are some tutorials on calculating the AOB by other means – I've gotten very good at determining it simply by looking at the ship.

What will help you very much is to "overhaul" the ship – this means passing it, getting in front of it, and then adjusting your angle so that you are lined up to shoot it before it arrives at the point where you will shoot – this will give you more time to check your calculations.

It is also very important to remember that, after you turn off the automatic TDC to put in the target information and AOB, you *MUST* turn auto TDC back on. The reason for this is that as you turn the periscope or UZO with the movement of the ship, this information is being fed to the TDC and will adjust it. For example: if you are stationary, and a ship doing seven knots comes at you with a 45º AOB, as you follow its progress closer to you with the periscope, the TDC will update itself based on your calculations – as the ship's AOB becomes larger relative to your boat, the TDC will reflect this.

This means that if you overhaul, arrive ahead of time, and establish the target speed is 6 and the AOB is 20º (for example), then you can put that information into the TDC, switch it back to automatic, and track the target with your scope until you hit a gyro angle of zero. Hopefully when you hit gyro angle zero, you're at roughly 90º AOB. If you're off to the point where it will be a problem, get your engines moving, and order rudder hard in the direction of the ship's movement. You may need to adjust the targeting computer again. Try and turn so that you wind up with a zero gyro angle coinciding with a roughly 90º AOB, and remember to switch your TDC back to automatic again once you've adjusted the AOB. I have yet to miss a ship while doing this, even making some snap shots while turning hard (just make sure your tube is open, and have your finger on that red button for the second you've got a good gyro angle and aimpoint coincidence).

You can choose your aimpoint with the periscope – it will send torpedoes where you aim it, basically. If you're only able to aim at the middle of the ship, it may be because you are locked onto it. If you want to aim at the stern or bow or other areas, disable the lock so that you can freely move your periscope.

Remember also to open your torpedo tubes BEFORE you fire. If you fire without doing this first, the tubes still have to open, so you may wind up losing critical seconds, between firing at your aimpoint and the torpedo actually leaving the tube, which can lead to misses.

Additionally, when selecting a salvo, make sure you don't set the angle too wide, since with two torpedoes, neither goes directly to your aimpoint – they go however many degrees on either side of it. I personally do not fire salvos – I fire one torpedo at a time, but quickly, so I can still get two torpedoes out about as fast as a salvo was. I don't have to worry about the salvo angle, though, since I am aiming each torpedo myself.

If I've given any wrong information here, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will come along and correct it – but I can promise you that this all works for me, and I've gotten so that I very rarely miss now. Usually, if I shoot at a ship and it doesn't sink, it's because I sent the torpedo underneath it in rough seas, or it was a dud.
SH3: 100% Realism, DID, GWX 3.0 + SH3 Commander 3.2 + HITMAN'S BETA GUI FOR GWX 3.0 (in a word: AMAZING) + FM Interiors + SH5 Water + Thomsen's Sound Pack 3.2 + BillCar's Sonar Ping http://tinyurl.com/billcarpingmod

SH4: 100% Realism, DID, RFB / TMO1.9+RSRDC / OM+OMEGU.

Last edited by BillCar; 02-11-10 at 12:55 PM.
BillCar is offline   Reply With Quote