View Single Post
Old 10-17-08, 08:25 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

From a certain point on, registry cleaners only delay the spamming up of the registry, and thus they delay only the growing disorder - they do not totally prevent it. I use such a cleaner once a week, and still it gets slower - just not as fast as without a cleaner. That's why I reinstall once a year.

You may want to consider to create an image of your harddrive with your basic and essential stuff needed, and to make it a habit to install from that image once a year, then you only need to copy back changed and working data, saved games, and that's it. According software does that automatically, so the process takes some time, but not your constant awareness and work. After finishing the procedure and defragmentation, you have an almost newborn baby inside your tower again.

registry cleaner:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download (I use an earlier version myself without problems)

Image program:
http://www.amazon.com/Acronis-True-I...4250098&sr=8-2 (I use version 8 since years, without problems).

You then need a second HD with at least half the size of your regular HD, since Acronis compresses the image to around half the size of the original. But prices of HDs are not a problem these days, so get a solid one. You want to disconnect that image drive after the image has been established, so that it cannot suffer from viurusses, system problems, so you also need what in German is called "Wechselrahmen", a frame that allows you to kick in and pull out the image HD like a radio in cars, it is no money, mine costed less than 8 euros.

That is money well-spend! You immediately realise it when you want or need to reinstall, or have a virus infection and are not sure wether you cleaned it or not: now you just choose tooverkill: you reformat, play back the image, et voilá. It is of course an advantage if you make constant updates of your working data and keep them in one place for easier copying. I even use to put it all onto one separate partition, as far as software allows me to do, and twice a month that whole partition is copied onto a DVD via Nero: no fiddling around with scattered data, no searching and collecting it from various places, just mark the partition and hit the burn-button. After copying back an image, you only need to update chnaged drivers and chnaged or added working data.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-17-08 at 08:39 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote