View Single Post
Old 03-05-22, 03:25 AM   #6184
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

0442 Warship spotted! NE of us, closing...there is a second one...and a third! Dive!

0445 I think we have a small hunter/killer group on our hands. Three destroyers coming our way at medium speed. U48 has changed course and is now heading NW. These ships should pass behind us but a bit too close for comfort.

0452 They just went past...no slowing, no turning...we are holding our breath...

0456 they keep sailing away...wheeew!...can breathe again...

0922 Ship spotted! North of us...just a speck on the horizon...weather is good and we have our deck gun...

0932 This ship is sailing almost straight west. We are keeping out of sight and moving ahead of her. We will cut in and submerge later. There are destroyers in the area and I want to play it safe.

0954 U48 is now at periscope depth and moving to get close. Target is nothing big, a Tramp steamer I believe. Perfect target for our deck gun.

1009 Target is a British Tramp Steamer sailing our way at 9 knots. I cannot spot any guns but I can see a truck on her bow deck. She is going to have a nasty surprise...

1014 U48 is surfacing right now. We are going to use both deck gun and flak gun. Fire at will!

1018 Tramp Steamer is going under! Our guns set it ablaze quite soon but her crew kept struggling to save the ship...to no avail. Let's quickly clear the area.

Ship sunk! SS Ada Gorthon (Tramp Steamer), 2271 tons. Cargo: Trucks. Crew: 24. Crew lost: 14 deck gun

March 25, 1942 Kiel
1821 Kiel is now barely visible through the fog and the rain.
On the way back we met no other enemy ships and since yesterday the weather has been horrible.
U48 and her crew completed yet another patrol, with good results: 10 ships sunk for 52749GRT
We met a bit too many warships for my liking but I guess we will see many more in the future.
The enemy is not going to sit still doing nothing while we sink ships.
All I wish right now is a bit of private time and a long long long bath.
Let's dock this boat.

Patrol results
Crew losses: 0
Ships sunk: 10
Aircraft destroyed: 0
Patrol tonnage: 52749 tons
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote