View Single Post
Old 12-21-22, 09:39 PM   #2638
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

I've attached an image with what I was thinking. I've managed to get this into SH4 by "splicing" it onto the gramaphone image. Unfortunately I can't use the original image data anymore since this table is on top covering the numbers for the times. Not perfect, but it at least let's me know something can be done.

I obtained the numbers by using the following formula which I got somewhere on the SOH forums. Credits to the original poster(s):

Lead Angle = arctan (target spd in kts / torpedo spd in kts)

The "arctan" is the "arc tangent" which is sometimes written as tan-1 (the "-1" in small number to the top-right). I'm explaining it since I'm not a mathematecian and it took me a while to figure out.

German scopes had their vertical marks in "mils" from what I understand. The horizontal marks were in degrees.

I believe the formula for the range was mast height in meters divided by the number of mils observed in order to get the range in meters.

I'm not sure if you guys were going to go with a more accurate German scope, or just a "rehash" of the default "4-lines-to-the-scope" we have with the default SH4.

I'm not sure what they have for the U-Boat side of the house in SH4.

If using the default SH4 scope (US), the numbers are 1* per line at low power and 0.25* per line at high power - with the large lines being 4* and 1* respectively.

With that in mind, the following could be used to get range a-la-WWI using default scopes. Mind you, this is using feet since the SH4 manual has them in feet for US boats:

Low Power
----------------

Range = (Mast Height (ft) / tan of Angle observed) / 3

Example: Ship has 30 ft mast. You count 1 mark on scope at low power. That's one degree. So,

30 / tan 1 = 1,718.69 ... feet away. Divide further by 3 and you get 572.89 ... yards. Still too far for some WWI torpedos, but at least you get the idea.

High Power
----------------

30 / tan 0.25 = 6,875.44 ... feet. Divide by 3 and you get 2,291.81 ... yards away. Definately out of range for the first year or two of WWI.

Please bear in mind the image I've posted here is for US "S-Boats" and "Fleet Boats" right now, but the numbers can be used for DW or OM as well since the angles were derived from the speeds in knots.

Again, not sure how the scopes on the German side are in-game or if any of this was even looked at yet, but thought I'd help in what little way I could.

Can't wait until more screenshots come out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeadAngle.jpg (86.3 KB, 32 views)
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote