Thread: [REL] KSDII New Version 1.4.2
View Single Post
Old 01-04-23, 06:54 PM   #26
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Okay, here's what I've been able to figure out just based on math. Not sure if there's something out there that can verify this is how they did it, but it seems to work on paper.

((Mast Height (m) / mils observed) x (Magnification Setting) * 1,000) = Range in meters (approximate)

In other words, take the 22.5 and divide by the 50 mils observed. The answer is 0.45. You then take that and multiply it by the magnification factor. I used 6x in this case. The answer should be 2.7. If you multiply by 1,000 you get 2,700 meters -- which is what I'm seeing (give or take) on the TDC.

I tried other numbers and they seem to make sense from a trig point of view.

As an example, if you take 22.5 and divide by 100 mils you get 0.225. You multiply by 6x and you get 1.35. Multiply by 1,000 and it's 1,350. That would be half the observed distance, which would make sense.

Let me know if you guys are able to test out the formula. It would make sense since it let's you figure out a rough distance without the need for trig. On a slide ruler (straight or circular) it would just be a matter of putting numbers across from each other and interpreting. An answer of 2.65 can be quickly interpreted as 2,650 meters.

Hope this helps!

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote