View Single Post
Old 10-12-21, 08:45 AM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
My torpedo reports come with the prejudice of having a chief torpedoman on board who already heard the scuttlebutt about high speed duds and deep runners as well as the magnetic fuse being wonky. I commonly will use the low speed setting on the 14s, set the depth to five to eight feet and get in as close as possible. I can say, though, that I have had proper explosions with the high speed settings, at times. I can also say that shooting at 5k or farther gives me a fair amount of misses.

Duds are mostly about the angle of impact and the chance of dud assigned to that angle in the .sim file for torpedoes. There is a small chance of dud reduction below a certain speed, so when when low speed is set.

Something I have noticed is when on high if torpedo run is short, do not think it has time to work up to full speed of 46 knots and may be below the speed that gives chance of reducing duds. Then of course, there is a small chance the dud wont happen even at high speed and obtuse angles.

Another weird factor is even when the exploder is set to contact prior to June 1943 when torpedoes have magnetic features enabled, the torpedo can still prematurely detonate and the even when the magnetic pistol is selected by player, if it impacts side of ship, much lower dud rate then when contact is selected. I suppose this was done to simulate how the magnetic exploder did mask the contact exploder issue until its deactivation .

Not sure if you are familiar with Tinosa's attacks on 19000 ton Tonan Maru III in july 1943, but its quite the story regarding duds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tinosa_(SS-283)
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote