View Single Post
Old 05-15-08, 07:53 AM   #1
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0
Default Could use some advice re CPU temp

Does anyone know of an accurate system temp monitor software?

I was taking a look this morning at the Abit mobo utility for my new mobo and figured out that the temp monitoring was disabled. I went into the settings and clicked to enable CPU temp display, applied and exited settings. Then I saw to my horror that the CPU temp was being logged as 129 deg C! Shortly after, the system shut down, 'cause I figure the utlity triggered auto shutdown. I reboted and went back in and disabled the temp monitor so it doesn't shutdown.

I did a quick search and installed SpeedFan. It shows temps as normal, although the CPU temp it shows is kind of strange 'cause it shows it as 0deg, sometimes -1. The symbol shows either a tick or a down arrow (which I think shows it running even cooler than typical).

I'm a little comforted by SpeedFan, but I'm not necessarily believing that SpeedFan is accurate. I do think that the Abit utility is wrong (mainly 'cause I'm thinking the system would have blown up if the temp had really been 129 deg ... and this was at rest).

So can anyone recommend a good system temp monitor?

BTW, before all of this, I did fiddle with the BIOS on my new rig this morning (remind me not to do this just before having to go to work ). I noticed that CPU operating speed was showing as "user defined". Curious (another reminder not to be so curious) I looked at it and it showed the option for user defined (which I imagine is probably so you can overclock ... I am not overclocked btw) and the second option was 3000Mhz for default processor speed. So I selected the default.

I was thinking at first maybe this had messed things up temp-wise, but I don't think so.