View Single Post
Old 05-02-13, 07:58 AM   #4
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Lol, haven't moved yet - probably wouldn't fix the problem as it seems to be a conflict between the IMAP server and Outlook, neither of which would change with the move.

I did try completely deleting the account from Outlook, moving the .pst file to my desktop so Outlook wouldn't use it, and then creating the account again and letting it create a new .pst file after it synced up with the IMAP server. That didn't work.

Further searches turned up references to the problem being caused when someone frequently uses both a local email client like Outlook and webmail to access and manage their email - which I was doing a LOT last month, since 99% of communication between myself, the bank, and my agent was done via email. Since I was on my work PC when most of it was happening, I was reading/sending everything from webmail during business hours. Then I'd go home and use Outlook from my home PC as usual.

Something about jumping back and forth between both seems to foul up things between the IMAP server and the local email client, especially if you are deleting and moving messages and/or folders in both applications which I was doing. Some reports I found indicated that it could come down to a problem with one single email or mail folder - sent items seemed to be a common culprit, sometimes just because the local client saves them to a folder with a different name than the one used by the webmail app and then you end up with two folders for sent mail when the IMAP syncs up. I had that issue and thought nothing of it, but I did manually move items from one of the two folders to the other to keep everything together in Outlook and at some point after I did that I started getting the UID error.

The only thing reported as a fix for that is to start deleting email until the offending items are gone, or to copy all items to a separate location and then put them back one by one until the problem recurs so you can see which item is causing it. Currently I have a lot of mail related to the condo that can just be deleted so I guess I'll start there. If that doesn't resolve anything, I guess I'll uninstall Outlook and try reinstalling it for a fresh start.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote