Old 05-07-12, 09:28 AM   #3
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by difool2 View Post
Just woke up, saw the new subforum, said to myself, "Whaaaa?"

Now, I am seeing a lot of vitriol here, but I'm not sure if it is because Subsimmers don't trust Ubi to actually pull it off and make it a total success from a gameplay standpoint, or because people are objecting to the very concept of an "online" (MMO?) subsim. Clarify please.
With all of the very verbose posts, I figured the answer would be obvious. To make a long story short, The objection to the MMO format is because that MMOs are casual by nature. Subsimmers, excluding those who do admit to preferring a more casual experience, want as real and historically accurate experience as possible. Ideally, a sub sum should be so real that the only thing a player needs to provide is the stink of the engines and crew. The MMO format cannot supply that experience because of one core incompatibility; death is cheap in MMOs. In a true sub sim,when you are dead, you are dead.*

Without going off on a tirade, Ubisoft has consistently proven that its only care is trying to become another EA Games. It has consistently shown that, at the executive level, they do not care about the gamers that purchase their products. Silent Hunter 5, for many was the last straw. SH5 is barely 2 years old, the last official patch came out after two months of release and support officially cancelled in a year. Dan Dimitrescu stated in a recent post that he tried to convince the suits at Ubi to exclude its stupid, intrusive, broken DRM and they would not listen to him. Ubisoft has proven repeatedly and consistently that they do not care about anything except developing a "cash camel" franchise to compete with Call of Duty or World of Warcraft. They want zero-effort profits.

That means screwing the grognards of the subsim community, who demand high quality, historically accurate products.

*I know that one can save scum in even the best subsim, but the grognards do not.

Last edited by Hinrich Schwab; 05-07-12 at 09:05 PM.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote