Thread: Ahoy everyone
View Single Post
Old 05-03-13, 07:30 PM   #1
Rick1984
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Ahoy everyone

Well what to say? I'm 28 live in FL, near the water, have had an interest in most things nautical and maritime for awhile, and would like to get into some sub sims. That said I haven't played ANY of the "modern" or hardcore sims like Silent Hunter. I've only ever played that good ol' 486 standby Wolfpack.

So thus comes to the crux of my dilemma. I have two questions here:

1) Are the Silent Hunter games user friendly, i.e. is the learning curve steep or is it pretty newbie friendly? As much as I'd like to initiate a crash dive and flee from terror everytime a destroyer ventures by, I'd also like a fighting chance to match bearings and snap shot a fish down the barrel and sink a tin can.

2) How is the control scheme? I only have a laptop that I pretty much actually use on my lap and thus use the keyboard and thumbpad. I don't have a real desk (no room in my well... room) and don't plan to aquire one since at this point in my life I'm trying to maintain maximum flexibility and freedom (more large possessions equal having to move said large possessions and i don't have a truck...)

I guess technically I have three questions...
3) Which is better 4 or 5? To be honest, the appeal of 4's pacific setting thrills me more than 5's north atlantic setting, but 5 looks gorgeous and I'm sure with mods you can fix most if not all of the problems.

As both are on Steam for $9.99 i'm sure i'd get both eventually but...

Also my laptop is BRAND new so if there are any issues with Windows 8 or quad-cores...

*wooo never try to type in english the same time you think in spanish... it doesn't end well...*

Last edited by Rick1984; 05-03-13 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Realized it was Wolfpack I had not Seawolf...
Rick1984 is offline   Reply With Quote