View Single Post
Old 02-07-13, 10:19 PM   #1
CBDR
Watch

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Playing DC Again; New Finds

Hello All!

After a long hiatus I re-installed Destroyer Command on two of my computers, an older Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows XP Pro, and a newer HP P7-1017c running Windows 7. Surprisingly enough it plays just OK on both machines. What fun to play this classic sim after several years!
I downloaded and installed the 1.1 patch and Projekt Messerwertzer on both machines (Thank You Subsim for continuing to host these upgrades). The Dell behaves as expected, but the HP's mouse is hyper-sensitive. I have found I need to adjust its speed in Windows Control Panel to the minimum allowable. This makes it usuable in the DC environment, but slow as molasses through a snowstorm outside the DC environment. Does anyone know of a setting within the DC environment that will de-sensitize the mouse yet not affect its sensitivity outside the DC environment?
While trying to troubleshoot the HP mouse problem I made another discovery, which several of you may already know about. The Shell.ini file (in the Shell folder) has the following entries:
; Shell.ini
;
; Initialization file for DD Command Editor
;
[GUI]
CdRequired = Ultimation
Active = xTRUE
WaypointEditor = xTRUE
SoundLoop = TRUE
ScrollRate = 170
ScrollDelay = 7000
[SHELL]
Module = IntroVideo ;; ShellMenu
Accel = TRUE
Scenario = Test1
Debug = xTRUE
PerspectiveD = 1.5
[DEBUG]
Printf = TRUE
DebugWin = TRUE
[INTRO]
Movie = xTRUE
[MULTI]
Active = xTRUE
Name = Fred Fubar
Scenario = Multi1
Alignment = AXIS
I tried adjusting the ScrollRate and ScrollDelay entries, which had no effect whatsoever. However, when I replaced "CdRequired = Ultimation" with "CdRequired = xFALSE", I found that both machines no longer required the CD to be able to run! This is a good thing as the CD/DVD on the Dell is currently OOC.
I also read recently that the Projekt Messerwertzer team was granted access to the DC source code after paying a sum of money. If so, is there any chance of releasing the source code for further devopement?