LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Just read yours re sonar range.

LW Quote:
Quote:
The SeaWolf Hull array will pick up supertankers at 12kts up beyond 30nm and the sphere array will pick up supertankers at 12kts beyond 25nm.
Please

We agree I hope that testing should be between like platforms so I think you will appreciate that I
would not be disrespectfull to your work by setting about it casualy
Well what do you want??? The Sphere to be a forward looking Towed array???

I tuned the sensors to provide "realistic" performance on the loudest platforms. A very happy consequence of this is that the tunes I have done make the acoustic engine perform almost exactly to what I have read about real world sensor performance in every context I have tested. I explicetly stated that the Sphere and Hull arrays are primarily for situational awareness and not tactic action, which is the job of the TA. Their performance against quiet platforms will not be as dramatically enhanced as against the loudest platforms because that is how the arrays and acoustics function in the game engine, and in real life. If it were something else in real life, then the submarine engineers wouldn't go through all the trouble of putting winches and miles of TA cable on the submarine and sonar designers wouldn't spend years making computational algorthims to make a cable give bearing information (which is really really hard BTW).

If you don't want it to be that way, then start engineering submarine sonars that are more efficient and then I can model them that way.

Don't you think picking up a Collins at 5kts at 4nm is an improvement?