View Single Post
Old 03-02-24, 05:15 AM   #5
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Windows gets in the way

You can run the vanilla game at 1024x768 full screen or you can use the video settings menu in the game to get a tiny little 1024x768 window. 1024x768 seems to be almost universally acceptable but is going to look very stretched on a wide screen.

The resolution fixes and widescreen mods are based around a thing called a directx wrapper. This is a d3d9.dll file that sits in the game directory and intercepts all calls to the system's proper d3d9.dll file. It then mangles the various system calls to display nicely on a higher resolution or different aspect ratio before sending them on to the real d3d9.dll file.
Firstly windows 10 and on are going to try to stop all this naughty changing of program files and meddling with system calls. You need to be in compatibility mode and install the game somewhere outside Program Files.
Secondly you need to edit the d3d9.cfg (or similar) file and ensure that the resolution and refresh rate called up is something that your system can display.
The simplest solution is to use one of the widescreen mods. These include the d3d9.dll nonsense but also rearrange the 2D graphics to fit the new display size. There are 1920x1024 and 1366x768 flavours available - hopefully your system will be able to cope with one of these modes.
..or you can run linux like me and have to cope with yet another layer of insanity on top of all that I have a 1900x800 display on my desktop PC and I would really like to get 1366x768 in a window within that desktop but I'm afraid most of the directx wrappers obstinately refuse to run in a window!
Good luck!

Last edited by Hooston; 03-02-24 at 05:37 AM.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote