View Single Post
Old 11-04-12, 07:09 PM   #768
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xall View Post
Wow I'm really excited about this mod, I hate to ask but when can we expect it, any general idea?

I know I should not ask but it just looks so amazing!

I tried shells of fury, what I missed form that is the Type U - 9 u-boot I#m really glad its going to be in here.

Keep up the amazing work guys, its a honor to see a WW1 mod being made, I think there should be allot more WW1 games it was such a fasinating era with the introduction of so many new things such as a drastic change of warefare with the newly introduced machine gun, the u-boats and submarines, airplanes...

I littlery can't wait for this mod! It looks amazing! Good job
No news is good news.

Seriously, since my last post I have been working on the following tasks:

1. Gathering sources for modeling the U-51 class. Not 100% satisfied with the volume of material but at least there are good plans and conning tower pics out there.

2. Destructible land targets for bombardment missions (a common task for U-Boats early in the war). These will also be attacked by both friendly and enemy non-player units in accordance with history. When you sortie out you may see British pre-dreadnoughts shelling your base, or German battlecruisers shooting up British towns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on...ool_and_Whitby

I intend to create a world where you're not alone and other units, friend and foe, are going about their business day by day.

3. Environmental improvements. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to me to get the skies, waterm, and terrain to look like Northern Europe. No hula girls or coconut trees, thank you! It's all part of developing the cold, gritty, "North Atlantic" ambience that Silent Hunter III and Silent Hunter V have. In my next update there will be comparison pictures of unmodded SH4 and the European terrain textures, trees, and ocean coloring I have modded in.

4. Designing merchant shipping. I'd like to go into detail on this last bit. The Merchant Fleet Mod ships are being "scrapped". Instead, there will be higher poly-count, scratch-built vessels with different destructible parts. This last bit has exceeded my expectations. Based on my work with one small freighter over the past week, I will be able to do almost everything I wanted to do. My big concern was "flicker" from overlaid 3d objects - miraculously this has not been a problem. Civilian ships will no longer be hollow shells. Instead, get ready for:

-real cargo holds. Visible cargo and passengers when hatches or deckhouses get blown off by your guns.

-3d portholes, life rings, & deck machinery

-breakups at different portions of the ship hull, like Silent Hunter V. No more automatic splitting in half.

-real, 3d torpedo holes when a ship is hit - not just transparency over a damage layer

Not to mention new particle effects for damage and texture improvements like actual ship names on the bow, home port on the stern, load lines, & more.

The main setback is that there will be fewer different hull sizes than in the Merchant Fleet Mod - however, that's a small price to pay in my opinion. To compensate there will be more different funnels, superstructures, and deck components added to each basic hull variant.

I have not posted screens yet because I am planning for a major update, unlike the smaller ones that have been posted earlier. Thanks to all for your help, and I can assure you that the recent silence is a good sign - not a bad one!

Last edited by iambecomelife; 11-07-12 at 08:28 PM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote