View Single Post
Old 12-19-09, 02:45 AM   #54
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I leave map contacts on. I am not sure what use celestial navigaton serves to assist me in the game. I am looking for a basic explanation of its purpose other than to tell you where you are? Can it tell you where you want to go, intercept information, etc. ? How does it compare to the game features that allow you to plot course? Remember, I all know is that there are star at night, and I can recognize the Big Dipper and Orion. I should have articulated my issues more clearly, and express my regrets in that regard.
The Navigation thing is an adaptation attempt for the game which hasn't really made allowances for it.

With star 'shooting' and Zenith timing, you can get your location down to single figure Nms(Kms), if not less. This really helps in the open seas far away from land.

The game 'give-aways' are :-
1) Control + Left mouse click.. which centres the map screen on your sub
2) The Captains log reports exact ship sinking locations.
3) Map zooming and attack map gives away your location.
4) Sun icon, and plotted course.

One can get rid of most of these items in the game.

There are other ways to navigate which can be used in addition to 'star gazing' , such as keeping a record of your course, speed and time - The map is fairly accurate in this regard, and it works best with the imperial measuring system (Feet, Yards, Nautical Miles, Knots).

No.. it's not perfect and it's up to you to make the game interesting from a Navigators point of view. It's also very educational and soon you'll be tossing your GPS gadget out the window...

Last edited by vanjast; 12-19-09 at 09:31 AM.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote