View Single Post
Old 04-01-09, 06:59 AM   #788
DaveyJ576
Officer

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

In taking a look at these awesome renderings, one thing struck me.

If German submariners can actually sleep in those racks aft of the engine room, then they are better men than I. Having first hand, personal experience of what it is like to work in a submarine engine room I can tell you that the noise level inside the room while the engines are running is far beyond deafening. You can stand right next to someone and yell in their ear and they won't hear you. You can only communicate using hand signals.

The other factor is heat. It is not uncommon for the temps in the Engine Room to get above 110 degrees F. It actually get worse right after you secure the engines and submerge. The engines take time to cool down and with the boat closed up there is no where for the heat to go. Eventually the cooler water outside the hull will mitigate the heat somewhat, but the engine room is always HOT! The curtain separating the berthing area from the Engine Room would be nothing but an annoyance.

I have a lot of respect for the men who took these U-Boats to sea. Life aboard must have been most unpleasant.

The detail in these renderings is mind-boggling. Keep up the great work!
DaveyJ576 is offline   Reply With Quote