View Single Post
Old 11-15-21, 07:46 PM   #22
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If.. I am recalling rightly, SH3... did have a means to bury the dead, at sea... I believe. Has been a while since I had any dead on board... so... I will... say, that My memory may be a bit... foggy on that.

A shame that SH4 (which as I understand it, is based on the bones of SH3 (roughly...) did NOT include that, as a viable function...

M. M.

Interesting. Definitely something we should have in SH 4.

Apparently, there is a hidden/disabled abandon ship feature in SH 4. Twice this has happened....I am in the middle of a attack and my fingers slip off he key when trying to give command to raise/lower scope, change speed and I heard "abandon ship" uttered by the watch officer. Nothing happened, but he said it. First time I thought I misunderstood, but second time was a few months later and heard it clear. Not sure of exact key combo to recreate it at will.

Among several key things left out by devs that should have been in SH 4 is abandon ship and burial at sea. I recall in stock how ridiculous it was to get your rudder destroyer by deprh charge and were stuck, since they did not bother to give us independent engine control (or even four actual engines as fleetboats had, plus the aux diesel!) so could not steer. Lose props, engines, or rudders, game over. Carried over into mods. Only fix is to make the rudder etc essentially invulnerable. In my revised damage model, the rudder, engines, props can be damaged, but rudder, and one of the props and engines have enough HP assigned they are highly unlikely to ever be destroyed. Where as others could be, although they are tough, as this equipment was in real life.

It is interesting , the effects damage has on the sub. For example, my port prop shaft was nearly destroyed one patrol, two really close depth charges got it. Took a week to be fully repaired, but even then, sub could never reach max surfaced speed on surface, always around 18 knots or less instead of 20. Makes sense, but wish the DC screen was a bit more informative . Also noticed my sub was noisier even at silent running. Wish the noise was audible to player, simulate the prop shaft squeaking etc due to damage when knocked out of alignment.

Traveller created the SOS/Rescue mod, which I am shocked has never been implemented into the big mods.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote