View Single Post
Old 09-13-13, 02:19 PM   #4422
the dark knight
Bosun

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Started a new campaign after finishing my original career with a IXD2, so time for a new game! Type VIIb, Williamshaven home base, grid square AN68.

My type VII, U47 had a successful day today! It is end of september/ early october 1939 in my current career. Frustrated that nothing but neutral shipping has been in my grid square and not to mention that square is a waste of a Type VII, I decide to head up to hunt off the north coast of Scotland. As I was passing just off the west coast of Scapa Flow submerged on September 20th or so, I was contemplating sneaking into the base just as the real U-47 did, when my hydrophones operator indicated he had a fast moving contact headed our general direction. Fearing it could be a destroyer, I set all my torpedoes accordingly. I turned south, and headed tword the sound source raised the periscope and was surprised and excited to see what was on the surface. It was HMS Hood! And she had a friend along with her, the HMS Nelson! They both were steaming east heading for the channel between Hoy island and the Scottish mainland to Scapa Flow and were about 2500M right in front of me in perfect position. (lucky me!) I fired 2 torpedoes at each and waited for what seemed like an eternity for impacts and reloads. The first two hit the HMS Hood, one in the engine compartment, and the other where her propeller shafts meet the hull. I turn my attention to the impacts on HMS Nelson next. Two impacts, both in the engine room. Nelson keeps steaming on however, while Hood comes to a grinding halt. I had already turned my U-boat around and fired another torpedo into Nelson from my stern tube. This one jams the rudder hard to port and HMS Nelson starts to make a large circle. I turn the sub around again and my first tube is reloaded. I fire one more torpedo into Nelson amidships and she starts to capsize. Now I turn my attention to the HMS Hood. I wait for tubes 2 and 3 to reload, and fire them at Hood's B turret magazine......one prematurely explodes, the other impacts and a huge explosion rips the Hood in half. (magazine explosion?) I look back to the Nelson, who is on my starboard side and see she is going down very slowly. I am about to put her out of her misery when destroyers show up and start hunting me. I dive and crawl along the sea floor to the west. I hear explosions after 15 minuets or so that did not sound like depth charges. I come to the surface after shaking the destroyers off, raise my periscope and see Nelson is gone! I decided to return to port at this point since my torpedo's are running low and the seas are too choppy to use my deck gun.

sitting in port now, lots of medals to give to the crew. Hope the next patrol goes this well. Will probably grab a IXB u-boat next. I like my type IX's more, and now I have the renown for one.

Last edited by the dark knight; 09-13-13 at 03:32 PM.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote