View Single Post
Old 12-20-20, 08:51 PM   #69
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I have made a quick search on this topic on subsim forums, and all the mentions I have found are about SHIV and SH5. I myself experienced the issue while importing in game a beautiful B-25 model by JU_88.
Some of the "discussions" are in unrelated threads. TDW was famous for divulging details on another of his mods, while discussing a newer one. But I thought someone in the SH3 threads, while discussing Rubini's torpedoes had done something to "fix" them before SH4 had "fixed" them... dad-blame worn-out RAM I've got in my noggin...

Quote:
I am not 100% sure about that, but I think the fix resides in eqp node naming or in its positioning relative to the 3D model of the plane
wish I could remember...

Quote:
Those comments are not entirely clear to me, for one thing they don't say how the 'attenuation factor' is applied, and the part relative to 'coverage factor' calculation is a bit nebulous. I would have preferred a set of formulas, but at least those notes shed some light on the general meaning of the main settings. Most of them are multipliers, so if we double one we should half the Default Air Strike Probability (or viceversa), if we want to keep about the same air raid probability.
Unfortunately, they don't say what type of multiplier, such as one seems to be as it is written, while the next seems to be a percentage, but I am never certain if I'm dealing with 1 x 0.0001, or a 1 x 0.01 when they say '0.01' for some of the settings. In other words, is it really a one hundredth, or is it one one hundredth of a percent, which is a "one ten thousandth"... lol

Quote:
I am sure I took this "availability" concept from one of your previous replies, but I probably misunderstood you. Thank tou for clarifying that!
Again though, I am not certain where that "line" is that the game considers a platform as "available" to go back out once again, but I have seen it where a "fast" airplane, such as a Wildcat, will seem either like it's late to the response, or that maybe the game ran an early AirStrike probability, because I have already seen 4 of 4 Wildcats around my sub, and yet, just after they have dropped off of radar, there are a couple coming toward me again. No other way to explain, unless they did happen to come from a 2nd airbase, but followed the same routing as the first base... ?? The only way to find out, is to do a series of tests with only one airbase with only one air group with a very limited supply of airplanes, and see what happens when the enemy is detected...

Quote:
That's a general proble. In theory, before being merged into a mega-mod, any mod should be tuned to work well with the rest, but indeed that's not always an easy task.
AI visual, and other sensors also come into play, and not just for the airplanes. The ships or shore installations that might report a sighting of the enemy, or a radar detection, or a huff-duff, etc., all come into play for the "balance". We have seen seemingly innocuous changes affect more than we would like, and oftentimes, it isn't noticed until a large group of people get their hands on the mod... "What happened to the DD? Are they deaf dumb & blind?", only to have the next round have a "What happened to the DD? I died within 2 minutes of shooting my torpedoes! They were on my like stink, and sank me on the first pass!"... lol

[QUOTE=gap;2714991]Anyway, talking more specifically about air strikes, the only aircraft property with a direct effect on their probability, should be max radius and maybe max speed.[quote]
yes, and I'm not certain the game considers the plane's speed. I would imagine the game considers the plane type also, especially if the detection is a long way off.

Quote:

You make it sound like a joke whereas the dumb aircraft could be described as modding drama.

Just one note: TDW developed a patch for making SH5 aircraft to "dogfight". Well, their air duels don't come even near to an actual dogfighting, but seen from a periscopic perspective...
I do remember having fun watching that quite a few years ago... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote