View Single Post
Old 01-27-17, 11:14 AM   #109
Farinhir
Loader

Downloads: 154
Uploads: 0

In 1997 I was 18 until the 18th of July. I was working 2 jobs (1 full time and 1 half time) while finishing my last year of high school (was home school, but that did not make it any easier) and taking a few classes at the community college to get myself a head start on that. McDonald's was the full time job (I was a closing crew chief) and my part time job was custodial work at a local private school to pay for my siblings' tuition since we were actually quite a poor family. I would get up at 5am, go clean the school for their day before they started. Come home and do my school work as fast as I could so I could have some time before my shift at McDonald's. Then I would work till around 12 to 1am. I had a lot of reading to do because I had to finish a book a week and write a synopsis and a report on it.

I was on the varsity basketball team for a local school, but I preferred to play chess and quake (team fortress, FVF, and other mods for it). Up till that time my only experience with subsims was an old game we had on the 286 called 688: attack sub (Made in 1989 by John Ratcliff). I was still playing that because at my house we still only had the 286. My friend had the Pentium that we played quake on at his house. I was still using DOS 6 while he was on windows 95. lol

Other games I was into at that time were Duke Nukem 3D, Descent. Shadow warrior (later that year), a lot of Nintendo 64 games. I also bought myself my first used guitar and started to teach myself how to play that year. It cost me around $30 at the local pawn shop (acoustic).

I also spent a lot of time on the beach during the warm months (about 5 minute walk from my house) skim boarding all the time. This was one of the great benefits of being home schooled. When I finished enough work I was able to do whatever for the rest of the day, and so I worked fast.

All of this happened in one of the small towns on the Oregon Coast.