View Single Post
Old 03-22-24, 05:11 PM   #4
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
A friend of mine recently gave me an old 1950's Telescope. It is a Criterion DynaScope made in Hartford Connecticut. It has a 4 inch ( 101.6 ) mm aperture and is 46.5 inches ( 1181.1 ) mm long. It is missing the eye piece and also the front lense. It it a reflector style Newtonian Telescope. The Mirror in the back portion looks to be in excellent shape. It came with a heavy steel tripod setup with wooden legs. I was curious if this Telescope can be improved and modified since I will be purchasing other components for it.

I have seen video's on youtube where people have gotten Telescope tubes made of Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass and even PVC pipe and made their own Telescopes.

With the thread " NASA "pokes" Voyager 1 spacecraft and got a response! in " started by Subsim member Platapus, I wondered if anyone else has experience with Telescopes and if so, any thoughts on them.
Newtonian’s have been around for a looong long time, they’re great scopes. It’s such a simple reflector design, other than maintenance and repair I can’t think of much that can be done to improve them imo. You should have fun nights with that one.

By “front lens” do you mean the secondary mirror, stalk and the spider vanes?

Here’s my stuff I put on a celestron AVX go to mount.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-22-24 at 05:24 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote