Old 08-23-09, 07:33 PM   #340
peggy
VIP

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default We thank you, Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I attended Capt. Zeb's Celebration Service with Mark (Mookie). It was a beautiful, moving ceremony. In attendance were his wife Joan, her family, Zeb's four dauthers Patti, Peggy, Jane, and Katie and their families, and a large number of friends. There were three eulogies given.

His daughter Peggy Alford gave four wonderful, personal memorials by her three sisters and herself.

Rear Admiral Albert Kelln, USN (ret) gave a eulogy that highlighted Zeb's remarkable career in the US Navy, his zeal and devotion to country and his shipmates.

Barry Battlestein, a close friend of Zeb's, shared some memories.

State Representative Debbie Riddle shared some thoughtful words and presented one of the flags.

Afterward, Mark and I met and spoke with many wonderful people who attended the service, including Bruce, Joe Shook (SubVet and CHF Board member), Gil Raynor (orginal CHF Secretary), Ms. Riddle, Captain Jim Gray (USS Texas skipper), Mr. Carter Conlin of the Navy League, and many others.

Dear Neal,

What a pleasure it was to meet you this weekend. My sister Katie and I thank you for arranging a ride for us from the airport. Her husband, son, and I really appreciated your heartfelt generosity...it was above and beyond, I assure you. Tam, the driver, was a lovely man...he was right there as we came out of the baggage area. The car was luxurious and he was a safe driver and got us to our hotel swiftly. I had no idea you and your daughters were coming in from a 16 hour drive from Kansas. It was our joy to have you join us for lunch...we enjoyed getting to know you and your daughters, and really appreciated your making the time to join our family, when a good nap would have felt great I'm sure. I really liked hearing the story of how you got this web site started, and it has been a blessing for us girls in these days since our father died. I imagine you would not have known how much it would help 4 daughters in 2009, when you started it.

We appreciate your being at the service for Dad, and thank you for your comments about it. We all thought it was a perfect way to say our goodbyes to Dad. We were heartened to see all the fine people who were able to be there.

Thank you for bringing us back to the airport the day after Dad's service. You made our trip there seamless and what a pleasure it was not having to deal with logistics of transportation. I'm glad you and my father knew each other. I have a hunch he thoroughly enjoyed his times with you.

My family thanks you very much for your kindness toward us. My Dad would have been grateful.

God bless you,

Peggy
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote