View Single Post
Old 08-23-09, 09:53 AM   #334
patti
VIP

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Patti

Well, here goes. The memorial service for my Dad in Houston was wonderful. His coffin was flag draped finally,thank goodness ,as that is a big military honor and he certainly deserved it.

So many great things were said about my Dad and I learned so much about his life in Houston with the Sons of the Republic of Texas, the Cavalla( I knew about that) and so many other things that he did and people whose life he touched.

There were 3 flags presented. One was flown over the US Capital, one over the State of Texas Capital, and one from the USS Texas and that was presented by the Sailor of the Year. I sure hope I can get one of those flags for the memory of my Dad.

At the reception afterward there were more people that talked about Dad and then we all left and my sisters and I went to the hospital that Dad was in to leave a gift cert. for the nurses that kept us so well informed.

I need to tell a funny story now. We all decided we needed a margarita so we went to Chuy's on Westheimer and they were having a soft opening for friends and family ( well we went on in anyway) and all the drinks were $3.00 so my daughter Samantha ordered a great margarita for all of us in honor of Dad and maybe they will even name the drink after Dad "the Skipper" so if you are ever there ask for Kirsten ( I think that was her name- and ask her is she remembers the crazy group from the grand opening that had a splash of orange juice in the margarita) and see if they did name the drink after Dad.

I really want to thank everyone one of you that has posted on this site from day one, you all have been a life saver to me and to my sisters. All of us to go this site daily to read the comforting words about my Dad.
His final service will be at Arlington National Cemetery on Nov. 30, 2009 at 9:00 am.:salute :

Patti
patti is offline   Reply With Quote