Thread: The Last Ship
View Single Post
Old 06-13-21, 03:47 AM   #21
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111
Uploads: 0

Sorry to necro a thread but I thought about opening a discussion on this series.

I heard about this recently on Youtube and I'm not a big TV watcher and don't follow pop culture very much, so I decided to watch this show since I had not seen it before. Binge watch. I've gotten through two seasons so far.

I think this has a great premise behind the show but association with Michael Bay is obvious. Also, I see alot of questionable technical stuff about what destroyers and submarines can and cannot do in terms of weaponry and sensor technical capabilities (I don't think a destroyer can actually be as stealthy as a submarine, for instance- I've never seen it depicted that way in any simulation). Honestly the technical stuff seems like they had good avisors but at some points they decided to dispense with certain elements for "artistic license". And that really causes the suspension of disbelief to break down.

One guy on reddit basically had it right. This is the original series Star Trek with an Arleigh Burke. Only with more American jingoism and explosions. It's a long recruitment ad like Stargate with even less moral realism dripping with America's quasi-Protestant ethics, where complex ethical situations are reduced to simple choices. Sunday School with Tomahawks and SEALS. All of the above, I suppose. Indeed, those people with more realistic ethics in this show (like the black "dragon lady" in Baltimore running her own "Brotherhood of Steel") are depicted in the worst possible light. On the other hand, Captain Chandler has no problem "liberating" people from slavery if it means they'll likely die from hordes of desperate infected people, because.. "freedum".

I guess a guilty pleasure, though... I am still watching it. But... it's no wonder America is so messed up, after watching this show. Even the recent French war film "Le Chant du Loup" (Wolf's Call) is way better than this at a believable naval war drama.

Last edited by FireDragon76; 06-13-21 at 03:59 AM.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote