Old 04-29-22, 10:46 AM   #11
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
What mod is that?
TMO Update mod, Version 2.0 , I plan to release in next few days.

This was a test run for the "East Coast New Construction" career start in 1942 I was testing. Player can do a new construction start out of New London and Portsmouth New Hampshire. Currently after sea trials player is sent to pacific but working on one that sends player from East coast to SubRon 50 in Scotland.

Mod will also include a SubRon 50 (Submarine Squadron 50) campaign which covers the deployment of the six boats of SubRon 50 to Europe from Oct 1942-Summer 1943 to the Pacific. Boats of SubRon 50 were were Gunnel, Shad, Blackfish, Barb, Haddo, Gurnard, and Herring.

A major reason Churchill , in desperation to combat U boats but free up British subs for the med, requested the FDR send fleetboats was to hunt U boats, figuring their heavy armament and long range would give them a advantage. They deployed from east coast, supported Operation Torch in November 1942, then conducted patrols in Bay of Biscay, Iceland, North Atlantic, Norway until July 1943 before being sent home.

Atlantic was much different war and found little success. Most Axis shipping flew under false flags and used neutral waters. U Boats obviously are tough to locate and sink even by another sub, esp at that point. Only one probable sinking of a U boat was credited to SubRon 50 boat (Blackfish if I recall).

Then those with the German designed HOR engines suffered serious engine issues. Gunnel had to sail from North Africa to base at Rosneath Scotland at a speed of about 3 knots on her aux diesel because all four diesels broke down. Obviously was repaired and sent to East coast to get new engines.
All went to the pacific after returning home for overhaul and saw heavy action in pacific. Barb, as you likely know becoming a top boat under Fluckey.

Mod simulates challenging ops they faced in Atlantic , patrols based on the actual reports ,with a little license taken to keep it interesting i.e. more opportunities to sink enemy shipping but nothing like what will see in the pacific. Player really has to really pay attention to what are attacking as don't want to sink a neutral or friendly. U boats which fire torpedoes of course are a threat, friendly fire, etc.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote