View Single Post
Old 12-15-21, 02:59 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Yes, I have, when it was originally on Google Books and was a "trial" book. Details of patrol techniques that I was not aware of, but that we've incorporated somewhat into the next FotRSU release. One aspect of the game that is difficult to "model" is the "rotation" aspect, where the boats would come into the Mariannas Patrol Area, which was further divided into boat areas. This was especially true as the US prepared to land on Saipan. As the boats there at a given time would run out of fuel or torpedoes and then leave, one of the other boats would then rotate into their area, someone else would rotate into that 2nd boat's area etc. and then a new boat would come along and fill the empty spot. Lather rinse repeat. It seemed the senior skipper was deferred to. I do like print in my hands, but the kindle book would be fine also, and is basically the way I read it (digitally) on Google. It sure didn't seem to be 400 pages when I read it... lol - but it is full of detail on top of detail. I did pick and choose what I read, and skipped some of his background info, which I wish now I wouldn't have... It is definitely not Fluckey or O'Kane telling the story, and might be considered closer to a history textbook than a "reading" book.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote