View Single Post
Old 04-12-22, 08:07 AM   #25
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I also watched that video you linked to and I'm impressed. Excellent commentary and camera work. For what I drive, this wheel ticks all the boxes, and would let me get in to the Fanatec game at a lower entry point. The modular quick release nature of the system means you can own a variety of rims, if the pockets are deep enough, and just swap to the most suitable one for the class you're racing at the moment.

This is a GT style wheel and would work great for those cars and for open wheel. With no hoop it's unsuited for serious rally racing I think, but still fine. And no reason other than the mad stacks of cash that a serious sim racer couldn't have several lying around.

I don't rally and one wheel is plenty. I do open wheel Formula 1 and GT style racing and the McLaren wheel seems perfect for me. I'm still unsure of which base to get out of all the options. This rim works with a dozen different base choices. I'm hoping for one with desk-mount and stand-mount capability, if that's possible. Direct drive is probably a bit too much.

I also think it's smart to get a three-pedal set. I don't need a clutch with the stuff I'm driving, and I guess the second set of paddles is perfect to use as a clutch, but somewhere down the line I'll wish I had a foot pedal clutch option.

Add it all up and this is approaching US$1000 I reckon. And this is the entry point with Fanatec. But watch that video Skybird linked to and you'd have to say it's worth it.