View Single Post
Old 07-17-10, 09:53 AM   #180
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joe View Post
Please Help TDW, I love your work and others too but have a problem, I have tried all combinations of mods including non except newUIs ver 3.5.0 and irai any versions, Have not got to testing ship AI yet but plane AI work well the first time I come to them they shoot me to bits but if I dive and loose them and then resurface then no planes see me from then on. even when flying directly over me on a clear day. I have found Saving and resuming resets this and repeats itself, there has been a few times that it did work fine so problem is intermittent. also SOMETIMES if I dive planes still attack last known spot continuously. Im not sure if this is as much as they have been programed or where the problem could be, I have treid ALL I can think of. Please Help!!!
Of all the AI in the game the airplanes are the most limited (and thus crippled). They should be the most configurable as they were a deadly thing for a uboat to encounter.
There are very little in the way of functions to use to control the airplane AI and thus is why you see this intermittent behavior.
A plane will attack ONLY if it has bombs and/or torpedoes. I had to make it this way in order for the airplane AI to seem partially alive. If you are detected and they attack you, they will continue to attack as long as they have bombs and/or torpedoes. Once they have no more bombs and torpedoes they start following waypoints again (Had to make it this way for them to leave the area and not constantly attack a ghost spot if you submerged). Now they CAN get stuck in an endless loop of attacking the same spot IF they fail to fire all bombs/torpedoes before you submerge. There's no way to fix that given the limited functions available to the airplane AI currently (I hope one day the devs give a patch with more attention to AI).
Since I've been playing with the AI and making everything smarter and more random, this has caused other anomolies to surface. The airplane AI now attacks you AND other units it spots. Ships and other airplanes now attack enemy airplanes they discover. It's quite possible that the airplanes you are reporting just flying over you attacked another unit before they spotted you and thus have no bombs or torpedoes (and thus are not allowed to attack). Like I said the airplane AI is the most severely limited and crippled AI in the game
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote