View Single Post
Old 02-11-14, 04:51 AM   #230
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Ah this is most sad as Vecko made this mega-mod to help people try SH5 and see what it has become.

The SH5 mod forum is full of posts about how hard it is to add mods to SH5 due to the large number needed. This is in part due to no team forming with one aim. SH5 modding is a group of individuals working on an area of the game each and trying to work together - but each to their own work.

We have seen a few mega mods - this is the 4th one - so what happened to the others?
They have been lost due to the work here continues - a megamod soon becomes outdated when new versions of each and every mod are made.

So with this mega mod by Vecko - we can see a change.
Someone who is willing to keep if updated and repair where required - even to take bits out that some people do not like (this is hard to do - so well done Vecko)

So why is it still causing problems for installing for some users?
It is not yet ready to be made into a self extractor/installer - so that means the only way is with JSGME

Now JSGME has been here for a long time and there is really no excuse for not reading or watching the many tutorials for its use. Right here on this forum is a guide to mods stickied to the top.

anyway - onto your issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal101 View Post
No I am sorry, I must disagree with you Drake is right - you make a simple assumption that every one here has the same knowledge as you when this is not the case

I followed your instructions implicitly and now I find I should not have over written the game files in the data folder - well I'm sorry, that was the impression I got from the instructions, after all if I was not supposed to do anything with them why are they included in the download!!!!
hmm - just use jsgme (after watching a tutorial vid) to install the main part of the mod.
This will require files in the data folder to be rewritten - most most will do this. It is just some files have had things changed or parts added. When JSGME warns about overwriting - click allow

Quote:
I am sorry I don't mean to be critical the trouble is most of us players havn't got half the skills you have, that's why you created this mod and we didn't, but fair is fair your instructions assume a lot of knowledge on the part of us users that we simply don't have

As a result I now have to uninstall the game yet again and reinstall yet again because I misinterpreted your instructions
Very frustrating - but does help the understanding of the process when we make mistakes and don't give up

Quote:
Please can you provide a step by step install instruction, what to put where and what to leave out - I don't even know if I need this patcher thing or not I assumed not, and that this was for folks who are still making mods, but now I am not so sure
You just need to install the main mod and the patch.
Those other two files are the options I was talking about before - the ones that Vecto took out. Here you can add them back if you did not want to take them out.

As soon as choices are given - modding becomes hard
No choices = "I don't like part A" , "I don't like part B" etc

Read the guide linked for the patcher.
The patcher is a app that allows you to make changes to your own SH5.exe
This is what UBI would do if they still supported the game - however they would install a new exe into your game.
For us - that would be illegal so TDW has made is as easy as possible to fix your own one. The app is easy to use if you check the guides.

Now what Vecko has done is given you a blueprint for these changes - so you can fix the important things - just read about the patcher and you will now here what I mean.

Quote:
Please don't be angry, just take this as honest input from some one who wants to enjoy your work

Quote:
Here's an example - you guys suggest installing JSME into the Root Directory of the game, I dont know where that is is it in the first folder or the one called Data where most of the games files are - You might laugh your head off - but I wonder how many others there are who don't know either

Regards

R
The root (or lowest part of a plant where nutriants and taken in and ......) is the SilentHunter5 folder.

Some reading into jsgme or watching jsgme vids would show you this.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181538
Video tutorial number 1 in that list is how to use jsgme

hope I was of some help