Old 10-21-21, 01:32 PM   #190
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Yes patrol orders/zones are something I will address in future, planned to in this release but did not quite make it as, like everything in this sim, is more complicated and time consuming than one would think and honestly, still learning exactly how to do it. Those are the "native" orders to TMO and always though were a bit off myself.

Far as I know, S boats only had deck mounted sonar(the big ball you see on the deck) and could not hear targets when surfaced. One thing I dislike in fleet boats is how well sonar works on surface, can be moving a long at 16 knots and hear perfectly lol. The man issue with AI referring to sonar is they hear before they see when surfaced, since their visual range is pretty much limited to 6-7 NM, which is crazy. Actually, it takes away a certain element of danger when without radar as sound always heard warships before crew spotted them, so could have those spare moments to evade. Now lookouts will spot those patrols usually before they spot the sub since subs were difficult to spot in real life , but may have spotted you as well I have tweaked the visuals for upcoming patch.

If you are are not finding any enemy shipping, let me know if you will, time, date, area (coordinates if you can) and I will look into it. Also, opening the files with the mission editor can give an idea of the shipping lanes. A lot of shipping to be found between Kiska and Attu, and in the Kurils-Aleutians lanes. Takes you into an open ocean area, which can be difficult to locate targets., esp before SJ radar.
Pretty much over in the deeper waters area of the patrol zone... may see of shifting closer to the island & see if I can't pick up any targets of... opportunity. May not be close in enough yet...

Yeah, that particular zone area's well NW of the island... which would be considerably odd... you'd of thought the zone would have included the island in there a bit better than was done.

Don't take it wrong or criticism of the sonar... as I know that the S boat had limitations... & your revamp brings that out great, adding to the work of others. As what I said on it, wasn't that.. it was just a.. side by side comparison of the differences between the different subs.

Have to say... seeing the numerous ice burgs, was a nice sight... especially considering they were included in stock, but... seemed to be... AWOL a lot, at least to My estimation of stock. Just 1 suggestion... maybe of NOT having them... static, or stationary, as the case is... owing to fluid dynamics... they'd be mobile... not fast but still... not sitting still. Just.. a suggestion.

Hopefully, perhaps some other modder, with the ability to do it... could maybe see of modeling them a bit.. better.

But... that's something to look at, for later...