View Single Post
Old 10-21-21, 11:30 AM   #189
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
So far, so good. Patrol orders are to do a 5 day patrol around Attu.

Speaking of... noticed that Attu, is barely... barely, in the ascribed patrol... circle, wouldn't it be more.. feasible to side shift that circular patrol a wee bit more... SW to include the island, in the patrol area... just asking.

PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=Attu
PlayerDefaultObjectives=ID94
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID292

Other than that, patrol's going slow, on the look out for ships, & yeah... submerged throughout the day, & surfaced to recharge the batteries. Know the old S boats sonar, wasn't like the Sargo (& those after that sub...)... I think that had the ability to run surfaced & be able to pick up ships on sonar while on the surface.

S boats, were on par with the early on type VII's in that score, if I am recalling the progression of the Uboat sonar. right.. which that was behind the Brit's & the U.S.' sonar.. though their boats were tougher in deep dive ability though the dive time sucked. Only boats they had that were quick in diving & seriously maneuverable were the type II's. The type II-D, was the stealth ninja's of the type IIs... but, I digress...

Will report more on contact with the enemy...

M. M.

Yes patrol orders/zones are something I will address in future, planned to in this release but did not quite make it as, like everything in this sim, is more complicated and time consuming than one would think and honestly, still learning exactly how to do it. Those are the "native" orders to TMO and always though were a bit off myself.

Far as I know, S boats only had deck mounted sonar(the big ball you see on the deck) and could not hear targets when surfaced. One thing I dislike in fleet boats is how well sonar works on surface, can be moving a long at 16 knots and hear perfectly lol. The man issue with AI referring to sonar is they hear before they see when surfaced, since their visual range is pretty much limited to 6-7 NM, which is crazy. Actually, it takes away a certain element of danger when without radar as sound always heard warships before crew spotted them, so could have those spare moments to evade. Now lookouts will spot those patrols usually before they spot the sub since subs were difficult to spot in real life , but may have spotted you as well I have tweaked the visuals for upcoming patch.

If you are are not finding any enemy shipping, let me know if you will, time, date, area (coordinates if you can) and I will look into it. Also, opening the files with the mission editor can give an idea of the shipping lanes. A lot of shipping to be found between Kiska and Attu, and in the Kurils-Aleutians lanes. Takes you into an open ocean area, which can be difficult to locate targets., esp before SJ radar.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote