View Single Post
Old 12-31-22, 01:09 AM   #34
russman
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

russman has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: very helpful got the same problem
Forum: Silent Hunter III

Nominated Member: WolfyBrandon
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Welcome back to Subsim phoenixegmh!

Usually save games can break if you add/remove/change mods or files mid-patrol, that's why is best to only do that when your back in base before mission.

If you didn't do any of the above, then sadly i'm not sure. I know in the past I have encountered a bad save that refused to load... that's why I make up to 5 different saves per patrol. If one is bugged, I can load a previous one (lose a bit of progress) to see if it hopefully works, which has actually happened to me before. If its not your first patrol of your career you should have more than one save, you might lose the progress of your current patrol by going back to in base before/after mission, but it's better than losing your entire career. You can backup your entire save folder first, if you want to "test" loading an earlier save which will delete your current saves... that way you have an option to get them back.

Browse to your save folder (mine is located here)

C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\SH3\data\

Make a copy of the "cfg" folder and keep it in a safe location.

It's not a bad idea to keep backups of your saves especially if you have a serious career you want to keep continuing, or even if you want to load it on another computer, just keep in mind for the saves to work you need to have all the required mods etc when you made those saves. This is why I actually take a screenshot of my JSGME mod list before each patrol, and keep it with my saves that I backup after each patrol.

Also if you are running on Windows 10, it can sometimes crash when loading saves... You can fix this by finding the "SH3.exe" then going to properties, and setting "Run As Administrator" & "Run In Capatibility Mode for "Windows 7".

Hope this helps.
russman is offline   Reply With Quote