View Single Post
Old 11-14-22, 05:22 PM   #14087
JerseySeven
Random#

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Can you try next time instead of copying entire SH5 folder, copy just TDW_dragables and dll files. Will that also temporarily fix the problem?
Doesn't fix it! I have to copy all the files since I don't know which ones are being affected.

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think I've found a way to prevent the corruption of the user charts. I've set everything in the SH5 to read only except the files ending in .TDW, .ini, and the log folder and the KSDCommander files. Overkill, I know, and I need to eventually figure out what I can safely make readable. But by setting most files to read only status, I was able to play it for five hours yesterday, and even reload saves without seeing the problem occur! I've used the ENIGMA decoder without a problem as well. I'm still avoiding opening the clock, but I may find that to be OK as well.
Now that I've jinxed it, I'll have to see how the game is later tonight

EDIT: Next day and user charts still work! UZO still works. Recog. manual is stuck on initial "other" picture and won't update image to new ships when you open tankers or merchants. It's some progress! Will see if I can get the recognition book glitch fixed.

@propbeanie: It's set to compatibility for windows 7 as it was when it was working fine under Win10. (I tried changing it to Vista SP2 and others - no difference). My normal desktop is 4K, 225% scale, but as with all Ubisoft sub sims, I switch to 1920x1080 100% scale before running SH5. (You probably know that SH4 won't even load if the scale isn't 100%). If only the problem were this simple.

I'm running the 22H2 update for Win11. It's known to cause problems with games and some drivers.Unfortunately, rolling back to a previous update does not seem to be possible. Microsoft just says "check for updated games and drivers". HAH! Microsoft breaks stuff in an update and expects developers to fix their mistakes!

The fact that something is changing the game files while running suggests an antivirus/antimalware program interference. One of the first things I did was exclude the D:\Games\Ubisoft\SH5 folder from being scanned. Window Defender defaults to Malwarebytes for antiviral protection, and any independent scans by Defender are turned off. So ???

Last edited by JerseySeven; 11-14-22 at 09:07 PM.
JerseySeven is offline   Reply With Quote