View Single Post
Old 07-31-22, 09:58 PM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Outstanding Member
Nomination basis: Helpful and consistent, a really good SUBSIM member.
Forum: SH4 ATO Mods

Nominated Member: KaleunMarco
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflaker View Post
Hello, I am just getting back into playing SH 4 after a long absence, and as Ubisoft will not let me play my copy of SH 5, have decided to go for an ATO campaign here. A few quick questions, mostly about the Type IX:

1) Are there any peculiarities of the Type IX I should be aware of in this mod? Any general tips would be appreciated. What is the best way to use crew stations, for example the conning tower station?

2) I've noticed that the 3.7cm FlaK is missing from the Type IX deck at war's start, with only the conning tower 2cm. Is this deliberate? Is it a quirk to using a boat from II Flotilla?

3) In the most general terms how does this mod differ from KSD II? In specific terms, how is the Type IX implemented in each?

Thank you:Kaleun_Salute:
ahoy FF,

can't answer your comparative questions as i have only dabbled in SH5 and have never ventured into KSD.

now, as for your other questions:
crew stations: as in previous releases, there are six/seven skills for a crewman and each skill is best used in one department. if you purchased SH4 it should come with some documentation on which skills are best for each compartment. if i type it all out here i would be dead by the time i finished. :03:

conning tower: command and sensor skills would probably fit the best.

flak guns: sometimes, the game will not present a Kaleun the most up-to-date list of upgrades at the time you are assigned a boat. you need to save, exit SH4, and then relaunch it and reload the savegame. you may see new options available. if they are not available after you have performed this, then whoever developed the mod has other availability dates for that equipment.

personally, i do not worry at all about flak guns when playing DW as it is a fool's errand. when you hear, "aircraft spotted", dive the boat to 50 m as quickly as you can. aircraft will pass by and then 15-30 minutes later they will make the return trip overhead. then you can surface. if you attempt to fight it out, no matter if you shoot the plane down or not, THAT aircraft will radio your position, course, speed, etc and his brothers will make an immediate and continuous effort to sink you. dive to 50m, stay quiet and undetected, live to sink ships.

good luck, Herr Kaleun!

:Kaleun_Salute:
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote