View Single Post
Old 07-07-22, 01:14 AM   #7
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Catfish has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Post of the Year
Nomination basis: well worth reading, good take on the situation
Forum: General Topics

Nominated Member: August
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Well I had a great Independence Day celebration. I'm glad such unwarranted negativity does not permeate in my social circles.

It's sad to see how many of my fellow countrymen have become blind to the many good things about our homeland and now can only see the few bad parts. I have lived in other parts of the world. We have a good thing here, we really do but it seems that increasing numbers of us want to just throw it all away, burn it down, with little heed to what horror will likely replace it.

I guess it's basic human nature that we tend not to respect what we don't earn. The easier we get something the easier we tend to loose it and maybe that's why all the great human societies eventually crumble.

The people who built the society, nurtured it into something great, defended it against powerful enemies eventually die out. The effort that it took becomes an increasingly distant memory as the generations pass on. Eventually it becomes distant enough that people take what they created for granted, they don't feel any connection to it, find it's values obsolete and now can only see it's few remaining or invented flaws as insurmountable obstacles.

What to do about it? I don't know. As I get older I find it increasingly difficult to care very deeply because the world is going to do what it will do regardless of what I want, but I don't have any kids so I would imagine that it's a lot easier for me to feel that way than a parent could.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote