View Single Post
Old 03-20-22, 11:31 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Aktungbby has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Category:
Quote:
Post of the Year
Post: Commander Wallace's post, from the heart, as per OP Mapuc; succinctly extolling Subsim's policy of open heartfelt discussion at a particularly troublesome period of history...NOW! Mapuc changed his OP rules accordingly to permit responses to posts in what should prove an interesting thread.
Forum: General Topics

Posted by: Commander Wallace
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I've just have this idea that whoever it may be among us who has something on his or her heart may speak out without being quoted or questioning.

That's was my idea of this Speakers Corner

I know you're joking(the laughing emoijs)

Markus

Markus, It's the nature of Subsim to openly discuss things. The free exchange of ideas from people who live in different countries is one of the many great things about Subsim. Try not to dissuade that. I know you don't want things to escalate into a " free for all." Instead, have faith our members will follow the spirit of good will in their discussions and in following what you want as well. :yep:

For my part.

I guess for me it's the total lack of respect or regard for life, in general. The war in the Ukraine may seem distant for many. I haven't slept well since it started. Before any one asks, I have no hereditary connection to Russia or the Ukraine. War seems to bring out the worst in people. It can also bring out the best. A good number in the Russian forces have been branded as traitors for not engaging in indiscriminate killings. These high minded individuals in spite of their military training in Russia, surrendered in the Ukraine rather than kill what they consider, fellow countrymen.

Others in the Russian forces have no problems with killing women and children. The images of a young mother and her two young children dead in the street has bothered me since I saw it on the news. Reports have emerged of ten people or more being killed for simply waiting in line to buy bread. To be fair, in the age of “ fake news, “ I have tempered my judgments. Still, one can't ignore the shelling of nurseries and tenements and dwellings where people live.

We have a good number of Subsim members world wide and in the U.S that have a military and or law enforcement backgrounds. Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure or privilege of meeting any of them, for example at Subsim meets. From our conversations though, I seriously doubt any of them would ever, even consider, violating the sanctity of life for any reason or price. They would temper any decisions with good judgments and a conscience. It makes no difference which side you are on. The end result is massive death, destruction and displacement for no reason at all. The costs on both sides have been enormous.

The easy decisions that people make to end someone's life without knowing them or having just cause disturbs me deeply. When these things happen, it's an a front to all of us and also de-values and de-humanizes us all. It bothers me how cheap a human life comes in our times. I'm relatively certain others feel the same way.

Edit. It's all good, Markus. Out of respect for you and your wishes, I refrained from commenting on Jeff's post. Still, The comments directed toward Jeff were ones of good will and understanding. That's yet another hallmark of Subsim. I don't believe limiting discussions or reply's to a particular post to be reasonable or logical. However, I will follow what you want.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote