View Single Post
Old 12-14-19, 02:47 PM   #219
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Wouldn't you set multiple groups on the same flight paths but at different flight altitudes or set farther apart along the same path? I would think this would solve some of those issues being multi groups so the types are not mixed but you could achieve a larger group it would just take more effort to do so unless you can somehow copy and past groups then edit the profiles of type and load to make it easier.

Do you have any plane test files for download that would not interfere with the campaign set up of load in of a current game? I would run some test if you wanted.
I might post some test files for the testers to try, but right now, I've only got one, since I was editing the same file for each test as I ran it... I'm also looking for a thread on SubSim from a while ago, where someone had determined the differences between the different plane Type flights and attacks, but so far, I've gotten a lot of chaffe instead...

When it comes to "Groups", you might have 50 planes, all single file, of which only one plane is "Leader". I have not found any documentation as to which of the fifty planes is considered the Leader in an RGG. I know the way the ships do it, but not the planes. They are a weird bunch of assets...

In a scripted group, it's the plane designated as Leader, and they line-up the way you draw them in the ME. But under no circumstances are they supposed to deviate from the Waypoint routing - though they do, and under no circumstances are they to deviate from the "height" setting, though they do. Most of that "deviation" is from the AI control on them, of which we have no documentation. But if you put a Dive Bomber as Lead unit, and tie Level Bombers to it, and Fighters to it, that's when you see the "stutter" flight from the planes, where it looks like they can't make up their minds as to where to fly. My thoughts are that these airplanes, in their "hesitation", are eating up clock cycles on the cpu, and killing the RAM buffer that the game uses, and that this is why you'll see the fps drop, sometimes resulting in a crash all because of a relatively few airplanes.

Other situations, where you have groups built to be all the same, you can have 10 times as many planes and not have half of the issues. But the different groups of airplanes all "attack" differently, and that's where the main part of the trouble comes in, from what I've observed, if you mix the Types, which Stock has done since day one. Also, you can build a mission file in the ME, and then go into the text editor with it, and set the planes all to different heights, but as soon as they hit that first waypoint, they all will conform to that. It is the nature of the beast. It will take a bit, but I am going through the files and attempting to segregate the different groups, and with some of the planes, further segregate them based upon what they are carrying, and we'll see what happens.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote