View Single Post
Old 06-01-22, 04:29 AM   #985
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Yes, i am using V2 and the latest patch.

Shifting the matter to real life, the Gato class never went that deep during ww2? At least on sub during a intense battle?

I thoughts were that, even not been able/or suppose to dive so deep, US subs manage to do so to escape their hunters, even if only a few times.
Well, US subs test depths were generally conservative for safety reasons, most exceeded them during the war, usually by 50-100 feet, a "safety margin" that is present in TMO submarines.

In all the patrol reports I read, the memoirs by CO, crew, and everything thing else, deepest I am aware that a Gato went and survived was about 545 ft and they were there because of flooding, not by choice. They were beyond depths measured on their depth gauges if I recall correctly and had to estimate depth by other means. They were most likely right on the edge of crush depth.

Gato's were rated for 300 ft, US engineers were conservative in their ratings, so it was found in combat Gato's could safely make it to 350-400 ft with no issues, although given the risk and unknown I believe most kept it under 400 feet, somewhere around 350-375 ft, as it would be seen as reckless to go beyond those depths on purpose. Balao class came about and while test depth was 400 ft, they could operate a 600-650 feet or more. I believe 675 is deepest one went during war time.

When I reworked the damage models in TMO, I accounted for all of this, since with the reworked damage models and depth charges, its no longer impossible to survive staying at a realistic depth as it used to be in TMO. Much as loved TMO, it was something that irritated me to no end how had to dive 500 feet plus to survive after reached mid war period. I made it in the update mods can stay at a realistic depth, take a beating and survive in most cases. Depends on skill and a bit of luck.

Damage models were reworked so there was a difference in the boats
and their capabilities/liabilities, as much as possible within the bounds of SH 4.

"100 ft" safety factor. Of course survivability at depths depends on the boat. Basically, your boat can operate 100 ft deeper than test depth with full hull integrity. Now, boats can go deeper of course, as you have found out.

Thing I discovered during develop of damage model and depth charges in V1.0 was that the sim does actually model the increased effectiveness of depth charge explosions at deeper depths.

Take a Gato at 300-400 feet, depth charge explosions somewhat close, may damage equipment , but no hull damage, no fatal blow.

Put a Gato at 500+ feet , same charge, exact same distance and position to sub...damage will be heavier, likely cause some hull damage. If you're at 500 feet and that close depth charge takes sends you hull damage to 20 (which can and does happen on occasion, if close), good chance within a few seconds your hull will collapse and damage will go to 100 and its all over. If this happened at 400 feet, low chance this would happen.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote