View Single Post
Old 03-26-24, 12:59 PM   #5908
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCapitan View Post
Hello. During all my campaigns, I did not come across a single defective torpedo, although in the period 1942-1943 the United States had big problems with this. Why isn't this in the game?
In the realism settings I turned on defective torpedoes
As Larrywb57 mentions, it might all boil down to "luck". The game does have a tendency to not be very "random" when it rolls the dice. If the time frame you are in has a 50-50 chance of a dud, then you might get 12 of 24 good detonations in a row, then 12 duds in a row. However, there is also another aspect of this...

There is the "dud" setting when accessing the main menu Options choice and then the Gameplay Settings:

Now, that is not an illustration for "Dud Torpedoes" directly, but you can see the choice there under the dialog box. This menu item affects the War Patrol, Single Missions, Sub School, and Multi-Player choices. If, however, you are going into a career, you need to set the same choices for that specific career, by accessing the Options menu again, which is done from the Captain's Office in-port prior to going on patrol, as below:

Notice that the cursor is over the wooden radio console. That is where the Options menu is found, and again use the Gameplay Settings to set the "Dud Torpedoes"

Each career can have a different setting for most aspects, and they do not disturb what you set on the Main Menu, which has to be set for each separate section (or "mode") of the game you play. Also, mentioning "modes", if you are playing a Single Mission, and then want to go play a career, you really should exit the game, re-start it, then go into the career. This is due to the fact that the game does not like changing "modes", and has a tendency to keep parts of the previously used "mode" in the computer's memory... Main Menu, that really isn't... sigh - Anyway, check your settings for which "mode" of the game you are playing

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote