View Single Post
Old 04-06-24, 09:57 AM   #565
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I agree with most of your post except this.

I can easily imagine several scenarios where traversing an open field would be less dangerous than the traveling on the interstate. It could be a parking lot of abandoned vehicles for one thing. For another bandits could be lurking at every choke point and highway cut, and I don't think many open fields will have military roadblocks set up in them.

In any SHTF scenario travel of all kinds will become much more dangerous and will be severely restricted. Best to do any necessary moving around/getting the heck out of Dodge before it gets to that point.
Yeah, buddy, that's for sure.

The problem most of us have with traveling during a meltdown, one that gets reinforced by movies, is that we think we can make our way across fields, shelter in "abandoned" barns and houses, collect resources as we find them: most fields and land is owned by someone. Down here, anything over 10 acres it is always farmers and ranchers. And believe me, if the SHTF, you do NOT want to be walking through a fellow's pasture. You sure don't want to be caught breaking into his farmhouse or shed, looking for cans of beans (even if it's "to feed your child").

In the movies, some city dweller/group makes his way out of his natural habitat (urban center) and leisurely makes his way into the country. Big mistake.