View Single Post
Old 02-29-24, 12:10 PM   #556
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Geez, we're this far into the thread and we haven't really talked about what to avoid.

Modern military MRE's- They are expensive. That flameless heater you add water to probably doesn't work. They are designed to do more than keep you fed, they will also keep you awake for more than a day. For all of that money you spent, the modern MRE's have short shelf lives.
Military MRE's are more of a head trip. You feel good because they're supposed to be ideal. IF you're a grunt in the Infantry and the Sgt. hands them out every couple of days, that is.

Survival Zippos (lighters)- I learned this the hard way. Yeah, its neat to get a steam punk looking insert for your Zippo. There are several problems, however. The neat-o gaskets that are supposed to keep the fuel from leaking don't do ####. In fact, I stuck a normal, stock Zippo next to a Zippo with an insert kit on a shelf after I fueled both of them to the top. I came back one month later and the regular Zippo was fine. The "survival Zippo" was dry as a bone. Aside from throwing this lighter at the head of your enemies, save your money and don't bother. Want to know what works GREAT for storing lighter fuel? That plastic "squeeze bottle" it came in. For the most part, they don't leak and the fluid will stay stable for YEARS.

Modern SUV's and "go anywhere" vehicles- Most of them feature limited four wheel drive and an automatic transmission. THAT is enough of a handicap in a long term survival situation. Ask yourself, WHY the are you going off road in the first place?? Civilization made a big deal about building roads and highways, but all of sudden you know better.
I promise, there are a LOT more sink holes and mud bogs in open fields and the forest than there are on the interstate.
In second place is diesel vs. pump gas. Diesels are great, until they aren't. Drive into your local "gas-an'-go". The odds are that they don't have a diesel pump. Modern diesel engines just make things worse. You'll want either a deep stock of fuel injectors, filters, and motor oil or you'll want to have a buddy who is a diesel mechanic. The last problem with diesel fuel is that the local authorities will WANT as much of it as they can get. It will become "off limits" as long as there are earth moving/construction equipment and emergency vehicles out there that NEED it.

Hunting and gathering- So, you got that fancy sniper scope for your AR-15 and more ammo than the Colombian Army. NOW what? Being able to drop a deer at 100 yards don't mean #### if you don't know how to butcher it. What, you're going to carve out a T-Bone steak and then walk away?
Carrion calls in the predators. You may NEED all that ammo sooner than you thought. Besides, instead of dropping that deer- maybe its better if you just FOLLOW its tracks. Trust me, the deer knows a LOT more about surviving in the wild than you do.
Next up is "I have all the food I could ever want, its growing all around me!". That salad you made is great, as long as it doesn't contain Sumac or Poison Ivy leaves or quills. Know what you are eating. A botanical guide book is just as important as a First Aid book. Speaking of..

First Aid- First Aid isn't charts and graphs or a 50 pound kit. Its about as hands-on as things can get. In order to KNOW what you're doing, it takes practice, patience, and a cast iron stomach. You aren't doing much good for the patient if you're barfing in the grass. If YOU'RE the patient, you really are facing a tall hill. Doing First Aid on yourself is a losing proposition. More than likely, you're already in a lot of pain or you're going into shock. Not the best time to be breaking out a book and finding the right chapter.

Now, discuss amongst yourselves.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote